Monday, August 17, 2009

Wednesday, August 12: Day 61

Who doesn't like a public library? I sure do. This is the Anchorage Loussac library and it was one of the first places I knew how to get to by heart. The first couple of weeks we moved up here, I came here probably 7-8 times, partly for something to do, but mostly because of the resources that are here....internet, books, soft chairs. When you're apartment and job hunting, those are the things you need most. Well, atleast the internet. The books and soft chairs came in handy when I needed a break from the hunting.
Anyway, today I took time to do some reading out on the lawn. There is a fountain (picture below) I sat by, which is really cool to see when it's dark out because they light it up in a variety of colors and the water reflects it, which makes a really cool sight. Maybe I'll come back with my camera during the winter.
And later I found that there is a park with a small pond to walk around right next door, kind of hidden. Using my regular route, it doesn't even go by there. And especially in the winter when everything is frozen over, it's impossible to know where the lines on the street are, let alone a pond with a pathway. There aren't any fish in the pond, this guy is practicing his form during his lunch break. That's an Alaskan fishermen right there.
I've got to include the duck pictures. For some reason ducks, like flowers, just beg for me to take pictures of them. It's not like ducks are so unique that I had to take the opportunity because it might be my last, but for some reason they're fascinating to me. I like how in this one, you can see the reflection of the ducks in the water.
And this one, you can see the duck's head under water. I also love the ripples they make when they paddle around. I know, I'm starting to sound a little bit crazy. But I was mesmerized. I think when I bring my future kids to ponds or places with ducks, I may just be more into it than they are.
As I'm looking at ducks, a floatplane flies overhead, and again I'm sweeping my camera up for a shot. I have so many pictures of these things, but I love them! Where in the world can you walk out of a city library to find a park with a guy practicing his fishing form, and then look up to see a floatplane low in the sky?

No comments:

Post a Comment