Saturday, September 12, 2009

Monday, September 7: Day 88

This morning Matthias surprised me with a gift certificate to have an 80 minute massage at the Alyeska spa.....it was fabulous. Best present ever.

We also went to look at Crow Creek Mine, not far from where we were staying. It's unlike Independence Mine because people actually still pan for gold here. You can pay $15 to go for the day and look for as much gold as you can find. Apparently there are several "regulars" who come, which I think is fascinating. We chose not to mine, but instead to have a look around.

There was a self-guided walking tour you could pick up at the front, which we did. The red house below, on the left is the home of the owner and his family. They live here year round. Seeing the actual tools and trinkets that were used back in the day was pretty cool. I looked up active gold mines in the world on wikipedia and found this: "Alaska currently produces more gold (in 2007: 673,274 troy oz from lode mines, and 53,848 troy oz from placer deposits) than any state except Nevada.[3] Nearly all of the large and many of the small placer gold mines currently operating in the US are in Alaska." I really liked this next one. The soda cans in that little pond are not garbage...you just put your dollar in that bucket and pick the one you'd like. I have to say they were a bit unappetizing but the idea was very amusing.

For lunch we went to this place called "Jack Sprat" which was described as "world cuisine, both fat and lean". It had a hint of a granola feel to it, but the food was absolutely delicious. I got a caesar salad wrap and yam fries while Matthias got a halibut taco and salmon soup. Since I never cook fish, this was his big chance.
I had such a great time hanging out with Matthias. I'm a very spoiled wife and I know it. I'm totally okay with it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment