Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunday, July 5: Day 23

Healthy eating is something I'm actively working at. I have my ups and downs and sometimes with low blood sugar I am forced to eat things sometimes I normally wouldn't.

But I've been doing my best to have a variety of healthy foods that make it a little more fun to do the responsible thing. My blood sugars have been thanking me for it, since my latest Alc is at 6.7 (that means I have a 3 month average of about 146, a normal person being below 120, which is really great for me). They advise diabetics to be below 7.0, so I'm happy with that.

I'm really glad that Matthias is in on it with me, for obvious reasons. But also that he can relate to what it's like to want things like funnel cake deep down in the secret chambers of foodish desire. What is it about fried food that is just so darn tasty? This picture is actually a few days ago when we were waiting for the fireworks to start in Eagle River. We plopped down right behind the funnel cake stand and got some pretty amazing smells coming our way. But we held strong. Matthias is looking at his kernel of 94% fat free Orvell Redenbacher's microwave popcorn thinking that maybe, just maybe, if he looks at it hard enough, it might just turned into something delightfully fried.

1 comment:

  1. Sound like you guys had a great fourth, way to make ti fun without the fam around. Ours was the opposite, we had a family reunion in Washington DC. It was the most patriotic fourth I have ever had, and a ton of fun. And about the fried food, yuck! I can't day I agree with you on that one. But dtick a bag of candy in front of my face and I have to eat it, just can't say no.

    ReplyDelete