Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday, July 11: Day 29

This morning we took my mom to the Downtown Market/Festival that goes on each Saturday and Sunday. They have great samples and unique, corky souveniers for all kinds of people. They even have performers, but unfortunately they can be not-so-delightful sometimes. Middle-aged women should never take up belly dancing. At the very least they should refrain from dressing up in costume and performing. Here is a strawberry shortcake dessert we shared. It's falling over because we had started eating it before it occurred to me to take a picture:
Anyway, after that we took what I think is one of the prettiest drives I've ever been on up to Independence Mine. Heaven has to have places with water this color against a green, rocky background. It's just as pretty, if not prettier, than anything I saw in Europe. Too pretty for words, and way to pretty for a camera to capture. I think that's why I'm putting so many pictures of it up because each one captures it from a different angle and I couldn't quite narrow it down. I got a little carried away.

This is my favorite one of the mountainside by the mine:
Independence Mine was a mine back before WWII during the gold rush period in Alaska. You can still pan for gold there and keep what you find, which we saw some people doing when we arrived. We opted out of that, and chose to walk through the buildings still open for touring that had informative displays about what life was like there.
That tall white/gray building is where a lot of the miners slept.
On our way back, we stopped at the Palmer Visitors Center because we heard we could see some massive veggies that grow under the "midnight sun" like we saw at the fair last year. I should have put two and two together and realized the best of the veggie sightings would be in late August. But we came across some really gorgeous flowers, which I had to indulge myself with my new camera to take more photos...

In one of my cake classes I learned how to make these (they didn't look nearly as pretty, though):
And what better way to end the day then eat at our favorite restaurant here: The Moose's Tooth. Many a blog posts have been about this delectable place. Today we finally got a picture of Thy and I sitting in a booth there. If we ever come back to visit Alaska with our kids or even just each other, I guarantee this will be one of the first places we stop.

1 comment: