Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday, July 10: Day 28

Sometimes sad things happen. I forgot to download a lot of the pictures of today from my mom's camera. They're in Utah now...mom, can you send me some copies? (it's no secret--I'm posting "today" late).


Nothing was sad about our day, however. We got to meet a guy named Roger with a really cool pirate hat who led a free walking tour in downtown Anchorage. He told us the history of the first explorers to find Alaska from Russia and Britain. Captain Cook, a British explorer has a lot of things named after him now, including Cook Inlet. Roger told us of how he was brutally killed by Hawaiians, which is kind of a long story, so I won't get into it. It was cool to hear his stories and it ended in a very picturesque spot: Resolution Park with a statue of Captain Cook himself. Hereagain, this is another place they say you can spot Belugas but I never have.

Right after the walking tour, we went to Petravich Park on 4th Ave. to hear "Music in the Park", a free hour of music from a variety of musicians. Today's just happened to be the same one that inspired the lady on the 4th of July to dance with herself (see July 4th Post: http://michellesyearinalaska.blogspot.com/2009/07/saturday-july-4-day-22.html). So you know it was a good time! We had a picnic with sandwiches made from that delicious Great Harvest bread, and fresh berries. Yum.

After window shopping (my mom and I got some matching jackets with the cutest moose you've ever seen on it), we went to "Mushing 101", a free seminar given by the Alaska Public Lands Information Center. A musher came with all her gear--including a dog--and talked about life on the trail. It was a lot like the one in Seward, but more informative and without the dog sled ride and puppy-holding. Again, wish I had the pictures.

Then it was off to the temple, since Matthias and I had to work tonight. The ordinance worker in charge of the sisters found out mom was there and let me off at 8:00, which allowed us some time to get some great pictures and look at the grounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment