Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday, July 13: Day 31

Mom and I walked along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail this morning and ended up at Westchester Lagoon. We were greeted by a lovely flock of baby geese and a few adults that stood guard. Every once in awhile they'd bend over and take a bite.
And along came the train riding on the famous Alaska Railroad:



Then we were off to the Alaska Public Lands Info. Center to watch a movie called something like "Alaska the Great Land" that had some good footage of Alaska and then a little seminar about Alaska's volcanoes, with a special highlight on Mt. Redoubt (which had 19+ eruptions back in March--cancelling church on Sunday due to ash fall).


There's a free trolley that takes you from downtown, right by the building we were at, to a place called the ULU factory, known for making ulu knives, a native chopping knife that is a pretty crazy tourist trap if you ask me. But it's a neat little souvenier shop and behind it you can walk along Ship Creek (where we went fishing a few weeks back). Mom and I saw a billion salmon, something that was hard to come by when Sariah was here (sorry, Sariah).

And of course, I had to take a few flower photos...After dinner, I told mom we should go to Borders so she could show me all the books she's been telling me about and I could write down all of the titles. We sat on their comfy leather seats and read for awhile. I came out with a big list of books I'm going to go check out of the library. Thanks, Mom!

1 comment: