Monday, October 19, 2009

Wednesday, October 14: Day 125

Today was our book club night for "The View from Saturday". Very cute Newberry book by E.L. Konigsburg. Would be a great book to teach "voice" to an upper-elementary aged student but also just a fun read for anyone, really.


I was going to get a picture with all of us in it, but about half-way through, I got something in my eye and it wasn't just some fuzzy thing. It looked like a white fleck of paint and it would NOT COME OUT! Not only would it not come out, it wouldn't budge! I tried everything. And since it was bringing me a lot of pain, I didn't really interact with anyone that much for the rest of the time. Luckily, I was hosting so I was able to spend time in my own bathroom using every technique I knew how to use to get this white thing out of my eye. After coming out of the bathroom with countless unsuccessful attempts, I tried to act pleasant but I couldn't hardly keep my eye open because every time my eyelid opened or shut it hurt. 20 minutes after they left (and about 45 minutes after it originally got in my eye) I was at my wit's end. Thank goodness for the power of prayer, because that thing was not coming out any other way. I was so relieved when it was out I started crying. If anyone knows me well, they know I have an issue with eyes. The eye doctor is the most traumatic place you can take me. I hate going. When I was younger, my mom would have to pin me down on the bed just to give me eye drops.

Remember this thing?

That puff of air that you never know when it's coming? I can't handle it! One time my doctor reassured me that they could test it another way and "not to worry". Then he got this big pen-like thing made of metal and it came closer and closer and pushed on my eye over and over again. Is that supposed to be better? So from now on I've chosen to opt out of the glaucoma test. Maybe atleast until I'm older and the chances of getting it are higher than now. What a torturous place the eye doctor is. I hope I can grow up someday and be tough about it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I feel bad for you. My first trip to the eye doc was when I was 43 and I thought it was so cool to finally go. I don't like that puff of air, though. I about hit the back of my head on the wall behind me the first time.

    ReplyDelete