Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunday, October 11: Day 122

I just finished this book tonight...and I have to warn you. The book was great--really great--and only about 3% of it overlapped with the movie making it different and exciting to read. About halfway through, however, the plot took an unexpected turn and the whole second half I was more confused than I've ever been reading a book. I kept thinking the author would tie it together in the end. I was livid when I finished the last sentence and NOTHING WAS TIED TOGETHER. I talked to Matthias about it, as I had been ever since the plot twist, and tried to figure it out with him. I gave him as many details as I could remember and we were both stumped. Then he asked me if it's possible if the author might have included a bunch of short stories in this addition that had nothing to do with I Am Legend. "No way!", I thought. Sure enough, I turn to the Table of Contents and yep--there it was. A list of short story titles all included within the walls of the front and back cover of my book. I was so upset. Not only had it tainted the whole experience, but they really weren't great short stories. I Am Legend itself was wonderful. Everything else--not so great. So here's my warning: If you ever pick up this book to read, please keep in mind that if the plot comes to a nice ending and then all of a sudden you realize there's still lots of pages left so you keep reading to find out what happens next--this is no plot twist, friends. Nothing happens next but a lot of unrelated stories that have nothing to do with I Am Legend...because they aren't part of I Am Legend at all.

Here's the trailer in case you haven't seen the movie yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment