Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thursday, October 1: Day 112

Is anyone else weirded out that it's already October? Holy cow. Where did August and September go?


The miracle of all miracles happened today: I went to see Dr. Tanner--an endocrinologist, or "diabetes doctor"--and he actually knows what he's talking about. I've heard his name buzzed around here and there since we moved up here but he isn't on our insurance's special list of people they cover really well. But I finally decided to just pay the bucks to see him since I wasn't getting much help with the other doctor. And it was totally worth it! He sat and chatted with me for about an hour getting to know what my goals were with my blood sugars, what I was currently doing, and then proceeded to teach me about things I didn't know. Amazing. A doctor who knows more than the patient about the disease they are fighting. Seems like it should have happened sooner than this, right? It's really not that I know so much about "D"--it's just that I think a lot of "D" doctors get stuck in the rut of information they got when they were first trained and I feel like I've been getting the same questions and advice for years and years, which made me begin to wonder what my d-doctors were good for, anyway? Within minutes of talking to Dr. Tanner, he said, "Why are you taking NPH? Throw the bottle away when you get home." He then prescribed one new kind of insulin that does the job that both my other night time insulins were supposed to do. Fabulous!
I could go on and on. Suffice it to say, this doctor is awesome and I've already learned new stuff with a follow-up appointment next week to see how I'm implementing it. He even gave me a new meter so my blood sugar readings will be able to hook up to his computers and we can see patterns with my numbers. Yeaaaaa.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found a doctor with some ANSWERS! That shouldn't be as rare an occurrence as it is. I agree that you have to educate yourself because the doctor is happy to skate by with his convenient answers. So hooray for Dr. Tanner for actually caring!!

    ReplyDelete