Monday, June 29, 2009

Wednesday, June 24: Day 12

Today the three of us had our first Alaskan fishing experience. We went down to Ship Creek (the one downtown mentioned this past Sunday). Some super nice friends of ours let us use their gear which included of course the poles, flies, a net, and some really stylish waders. I think wading through the water was my favorite part.

As mentioned a few days ago, there weren't many fish in the river and seeing as we aren't really great fishers anyway, no fish were caught. For me, it's better that way because I don't like salmon at all. So it was just fine by me!




Later on, we went to the Alaska Botanical Gardens. There are "over 1100 varieties of hardy perennials, herbs, alpine plants, and showy annual flowers." We went on a 1 mile trail that comes up next to Campbell creek, where salmon spawn. Here are some highlights:

When I first moved here I thought it was so crazy to see moose instead of a deer on these signs. Especially in residential areas and major streets in town. They're there for good reason, I've found. There have been several times when I've had to slam on my breaks because the car(s) in front of me have stopped suddenly, only to find out there's a moose on the road.

Sadly, this last picture was taken just a few hours before Sariah's flight out of Anchorage. Thanks for coming to visit, Sariah! We really had a blast. It's too bad that good things have to come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. The sign reminds me of the Caribou signs in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete