Sunday, June 28, 2009

Monday, June 22: Day 10


Today we left for Denali Nat'l Park. It's about a 5 hour drive north of Anchorage. Once we got there, we hiked to Horseshoe Lake and saw some pretty cool stuff. Here's a view of Horseshoe Lake from above:
We also saw a beaver collecting things for his damn:

Here's Sariah trying to be the beaver.

A swan: Sariah mentioned this open field reminded her of Twilight. We found it after going through some thicker bushes and then kind of tumbled out into this open area. If you've read Twilight you understand...we were looking around for sparkling skin (we were in Denali, after all). But no such luck.
I thought these leaves were so cool:

Here's a snowshoe hare. You can see how his feet are still white (they turn brown in the summer for camouflaging purposes):

The Alaska Railroad crosses the trail and we happened to see it go by. Blue and gold are the state colors. (Go Tigers!)
After hiking, we shopped in a few of the souvenier shops and the mercantile store by our campsite. I thought this bear looked kind of funny. Does any bear really hold his paws like that?


My favorite part, though, was this bug jacket they were selling. Just take look at the bug jacket model. Try to think of a situation where wearing that bug jacket would be something you would be glad you had it for.

I mean, really? I double dare someone to post a comment about where they might where one of those things.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day!

    I would wear that bug jacket in the rainforest or to really scare my husband some night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I can't believe that you posted the picture of me pretending to be the beaver. I thought we were going to pretend like that never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would wear it when/if I ever stopped by work again, because employees wouldn't be able to for the dress code. So I would be flaunting my retirement.
    Maybe.

    ReplyDelete