Friday, December 11, 2009

12/11/09

Today's sunrise: 10:03 a.m.
Today's sunset: 3:42 p.m.

Temperature: About 18 degrees

There have been a series of foggy days this week and this morning was absolutely amazing. I was driving to seminary thinking, "Is there a prettier place to be during the winter time?" I don't think so. If you feel differently, I welcome your comments. Some pictures turned out better than others, and I know I've included more than most would like to see but this is mostly for me to be able to remember this place when we leave, so I apologize for any redundant pictures. I also had another amazing moment in the car on the way to the library when I looked to my left and saw a humongous--and I mean absolutely huge--moose on the side of the road. It was the largest I've seen and I almost thought it was fake. I realize it was on the side of the road and a fake moose isn't the first thing you'd stumble across in that situation, but seriously folks, it was big. Amazing. Here's a link to an article about a white moose that was spotted in Fairbanks: http://newsminer.com/bookmark/5132604





These are icicles right outside our kitchen window:
Some pictures outside the library:









Our hand rail going up to the apartment:

Some more pretty pictures:






This one shows two snow shovel trucks going over the lake I showed pictures of a few months ago: http://michellesyearinalaska.blogspot.com/2009/08/wednesday-august-12-day-61.html
I took this one to show how everything get's white: even the fence around that tree.
This is the Anchorage City Museum which is right across the street from where Matthias works. They've been doing a bunch of construction for the past year, part of which was to make the front area beautiful with trees and landscaping.
This one didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. It's on the highway we take to get nearly everywhere we don't take the other freeway for that's East of here. There's a stretch where you're surrounded by trees on both sides, which is partly shown here. With the dark evergreens and the white branches of the deciduous trees, it really can't be beat. Oh ya, the fog helps, too.

I've made several hundred pretzels this week for a variety of people: my seminary students mostly and some of Matthias's co-workers. It's been a time-consuming project but they are so delicious!



Tonight we're going to see an independent film called "paddle to Seattle" for the Anchorage Film Festival. It's about two guys who kayak from Skagway to Seattle. It should be pretty interesting. More updates on our Christmas visit home to come! Merry Christmas to everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Nice work on those pretzels! They're so festive. The snow pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh....I know what blog will be first on my list when I move to TX! :) So pretty! I don't see the moose... sniff

    I'm going to catch up on your life now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Alaska so much. We are still trying to find people who would like to fund our travels to visit you. We haven't had much luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are gorgeous! How is it with only 5-6 hours of daylight?? So you're coming home for Christmas? To Orem or AZ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband used to live in Alaska when he was in elementary school. He said they used to carry flashlights with them for their walks to and from school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! This makes me really miss snow...and really miss Ohio. Please remind me that I no longer have to scrape off my car and dig it out of the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Michelle!

    Just so you know, your blog is my fix for surviving here in Texas this summer. Ahhhhh

    ReplyDelete